Monday, March 28, 2011

April 3rd, 2011 - 4th Sunday of Lent


Readings:

1 Samuel 16:1, 6-7, 10-13
Psalm 23:1-6
Ephesians 5:8-14
John 9:1-41

Eyesight to the Blind
 
God’s ways of seeing are not our ways, we hear in today’s First Reading. Jesus illustrates this in the Gospel - as the blind man comes to see and the Pharisees are made blind.

The blind man stands for all humanity. “Born totally in sin” he is made a new creation by the saving power of Christ.

• As God fashioned the first man from the clay of the earth (see Genesis 2:7), Jesus gives the blind man new life by anointing his eyes with clay (see John 9:11).
• As God breathed the spirit of life into the first man, the blind man is not healed until he washes in the waters of Siloam.

Siloam is a name that means “Sent.”
Jesus is the One “sent” by the Father to do the Father’s will (see John 9:4; 12:44).

He is the new source of life-giving water - the Holy Spirit who rushes upon us in Baptism (see John 4:10; 7:38-39).
This is the Spirit that rushes upon God’s chosen king David in today’s First Reading.

A shepherd like Moses before him (see Exodus 3:1; Psalm 78:70-71), David is also a sign pointing to the good shepherd and king to come - Jesus (see John 10:11).


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  
The 23rd Psalm in light of our readings (and with the help of Scott Hahn's reflection!). . . . .  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want:  We remember this as we as we sing in today’s Responsorial Psalm, "The Lord is our shepherd."

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:  He leads us to the verdant pastures of the kingdom of life, the Church.

He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul:  
In the restful waters of Baptism He has refreshed our souls.

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.Yea though I walk through the shadow of death I will fear no evil: By his death and Resurrection He has made a path for us through the dark valley of sin and death


For Thou art with me.
Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies.
Thou annointest my head with oil. My cup runneth over: He has anointed our heads with the oil of Confirmation and spread the Eucharistic table before us, filling our cups to overflowing.


Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever:  With the once-blind man (from our Gospel reading) we enter God's house to give God praise and to renew our vow: “I do believe, Lord!”

You can listen to Scott Hahn's reflection here.

“The Lord looks into the heart,” we hear today. Let Him find us, as Paul advises in today’s Epistle, living as “children of light” - trying always to learn what is pleasing to our Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment